The seem to be growing much slower this year. It’s now well into July, and they are just now starting to bloom steadily. I got them in the ground a bit later than usual, but I don’t that that explains it all.
The picture below show the current height, which I’m pretty sure is way shorter than previous years. For the first time, the potted plants seem to be doing better than the ones in the yard. That makes me think the soil is the issue. I’ll compost for next year.
I potted the plant in mid-April this year. The vast majority sprouted. About six did not.
We had an unusually cold spring. I had to bring the inside the garage about five times. The last time was on (or about) May 12th. !
I bought one new one this year from Breck’s. Purple. Kenora Macob. We’ll see how it does. It sprouted quickly, good sign.
One of the experts said if tubers are dug after first frost, then should leave bags open for a few days in order to let moisture escape.
Makes sense. Opened all the bags. Will let air for a couple days, then retie.
It’s been raining literally for days. Several of my dahlias were on the ground or close to it. Spent an hour or so tieing them.
Overall, tying them once a week has worked well.
Most of them have bloomed at this point.
Applied Miracle Grow pellets.
Planted the last of them on the hill in the backyard. Not really very confident they will grow well, but we’ll see.
I dug-up a few tubers that didn’t sprout. I found a couple that would have, but the eye was trapped between the tuber and the side of the pot. The tuber was too big for the pot so I had to cram them in.
Need to get some bigger pots for next year.
It seems to me that very roughly 70% WILL sprout. Not a bad percentage, higher than I would have thought. I only planted tubers that seemed solid. I threw out the ones that were mushy or moldy.
I assume it’s the chipmunks that have been living hear for years that are digging up my tubers. Ran away with one. Others completely out of the dirt. I spread some type of powder that was suppose to irritate them so they go away. So much for that.
Some of the tubers with no eye, or at least no obvious one, are sprouting.
My conclusion… It seems that tubers with no eye do sprout, but not always. It’s hit and miss. Remains to be seen how robust they will grow.
Some animal, probably a squirrel, dug out and took one tuber. 🙁
The ones with the best eyes starting sprouting approximately three or four days ago.
Another freeze warning.
Had to bring them all into the garage last night. Freeze warning.
Potted all my Dahlias. Took a long time, guessing eight hours or more.
Lost at least 20% to rot. I was surprised, since last time I check they almost all looked healthy. Maybe I should pot them earlier next year. Or give them more air.
Most did not have eyes, although the tuber seemed very healthy. Went ahead and potted them. I believe – could be wrong – that I had the same conundrum last year. I believe most sprouted. Well see.
I can use these measurements to figure out the right size stakes for next year.
Dahlias in pots
Sandia Suncatcher – 3 ft current too long needs two
JS Dorthy Rose – 3 ft current too long needs two
Ava Grace – 3 ft current too long needs two
Hulu Island – 3 ft current too long needs two
Stoneleigh Joyce – 4 ft current too long needs two
Yellow Costco – 5 ft current length good – not thick enough (needs two)
Red Stiletto – 7 ft current too short – not thick enough needs two
Elise Huston – 7 ft current too short – not thick enough needs two
Born Sty – 6 ft height good – not thick enough needs two
AC Abby – 7 ft current too short – not thick enough needs two
MS Scarlett – 5 ft height good – not thick enough needs two
Holyhill – 5 ft height good – not thick enough needs two
Winkie Colonel – height good – needs two
Miranda – height good – needs two
Bought two more, a white “single” and a medium (B) variegated variety. Met more dahlia freaks and got a lot of good tips.
I should have a good crop this year. Almost twenty plants.
A list of the dahlias I got this year from the National Capital Dahlia Society.
Potted this year’s dahlias on April 16th. With any luck, I’ll have about 15 plants of various shapes, colors, and sizes. I’ll transfer them to the yard next week sometime.
Bought six more dahlia tubers (six for thirty bucks). That makes twelve, plus whatever survived from last year; should be enough. Tried to buy a bunch of different styles. They are so beautiful.
Went to my first National Capital Dahlia Society meeting tonight. Pretty awesome. A member did a detailed demonstration of potting dahlias, very informative. Bought six tubers of various types, plus some fertilizer. Lot of people at the meeting, many were really into it. I’ll go again.