A real page-turner. Grant was an interesting man, during an interesting time. Book makes him out to be a pretty extraordinary guy: uninterested in ceremony and affect, but keenly interested in getting whatever the job was complete.
- Born in Ohio
- only 5’1″ tall
- Was nicknamed “useless” (a play on his first name).
- Was very interested in horses. Was the horse-expert in his town.
- Simpson was not his real middle name. It was the the result of a paperwork error his supporter made on his application to West Point.
- Was in indifferent student. Studied very little at WP, would just clance over book before test.
- Up and down early military career. Good solider, but not impressive to superior s do to his dislike for military ceremony a, sloppy dress, etc.
- finally was kicked out of service for showing up drunk
- faired poorly trying to support family as farmer, shop keeper.
- at outbreak of civil war got back into military, and quickly put in leadership role.
- led an important victory in Fort Denson (sp), and later Vicksburg.
- when from out of military to general of entire force in less htan three years
- ran for president as a republican. won, had a pretty sucessful first time. much focus on reconstruction, insistent on freeman rights.
- second term less sucessful. many scandels.
- broke again after presidency. his partner in a stock brokerage firm stole all his money. benefactors help him survive.
- wrote his memoirs, which are highly praised for literary style
- died of throat cancer